Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

If LPR Card is lost or stolen

A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid, unexpired Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, when seeking readmission to the United States after a temporary absence of less than one year. If the LPR’s permanent resident card has been lost or stolen, the LPR must obtain a Boarding Foil (previously known as Transportation Letter) in order to travel to the U.S.  The Boarding Foil is valid for 30 days and it allows to aply for admission to the U.S. where the form I-90 can be filed with USCIS.

LPRs applying for Boarding Foils should schedule an appointment on-line (click here)

Please prepare the following documents for the interview:

1.  Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (pages 1-3 should be completed);

2.  Photo ID (such as passport, driver’s license, student ID, etc.);

3.  Police report if your LPR card or other travel documents have been stolen;

4.  Evidence showing that you acquired Legal Permanent Resident Status (copy of your green card or immigrant visa (if available), alien number (A#), USCIS admission stamp, etc.);

5.  Evidence showing that you did not abandon your LPR status (passport showing pertinent entry and exit stamps, airline tickets, boarding passes, etc.);

6.  One color photograph (5X5cm, light background, face straight);

7.  Issuance of a Boarding Foil is a no fee service.

IMPORTANT: please be aware that even if your application for a Transportation Letter is approved, it may take a few more days to verify your LPR status with USCIS and to prepare the Letter. It is valid for 30 days after the date of issuance, therefore please plan your trip to the U.S. accordingly.

NOTE: A child under two years of age who was born to a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) mother during a temporary visit abroad does not require an immigrant visa in order to travel to the United States if:

•the LPR parent is in possession of a valid Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, Form I-551), a valid Reentry Permit, or a Returning Resident (SB-1) visa (if gone more than one year),

•the child is admitted to the United States within two years of birth, and

•the accompanying LPR parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child.  

If the LPR mother has already travelled to the United States since the birth of the child, then the child will need a visa to enter the United States.